- 1. daftar (दफ्तर): Masuline: Office is classified with masculine gender in Hindi. Office is a ‘HE’.
Tip to remember: Historically, man was the hunter/gatherer and woman took care of the home. Therefore the daftar (modern replacement for hunters and gatherers) is of masculine gender. Also recollect that earlier tip to remember for the word ‘kaam’ (work). kaam is also of masculine gender. So, men do kaam at the daftar to give women then pleasure of shopping (khariid-daarii:Feminine)
(1) vah office baRaa hai. (That office is big.)
(2) vah bhuuraa daftar meraa hai. (That brown offfice is mine.)
(3) yah Ramu kaa daftar hai. (This is Ramu’s office.)
(4) meraa daftar kal khulegaa. (My office will open tomorrow.)
(5) aapkaa daftar yahaa^ se kitanaa duur hai? (How far is your office from here?)
baakii phir. (more later)
Don’t muse too much over the sentence formations for now. Just remember the gender classification of these words. This will help at lengths when you dive into learning Hindi or if you are already there, you will swim or float rather than sink in your learning adventure. Do notice how the verb and adjective follows the same gender classification as our chosen word. (shown by bold letters aa or ii).